Lea's Foundation

About Lea's Foundation
In 1998, Lea Michele Economos, a young woman who died of leukemia at the age of 28, made a dying wish to her parents that others would not face the hardships she encountered by finding a cure for this disease. Her family started this charity to carry on that wish. Today, Lea’s Foundation takes an active role in finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s lymphoma and myeloma and to better the lives of people living with these diseases. At the UCONN Health Center, the Lea’s Foundation Center for Hematologic Disorders sponsors research in this field. A new program covers the cost of bone-marrow testing to help recruit life-saving transplants for patients. Also, annual scholarships are given to children with leukemia who are planning to attend nursery school. For more information on other projects carried out by Lea’s Foundation, please visit their website at www.LeasFoundation.org.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

One more for good measure...

As the three of us went our separate ways to enjoy the remains of this summer, I got to thinking I should keep traveling. Cape Cod sounded nice, so I called a few friends and we planned to meet out there for the weekend of the 13th. Of course, it would have felt wrong to drive there, so the trusty Cannondale was in line for its last century (and change). Tom and Greg both had plans for the weekend but one of our classmates, John Paul Shoup was game for an epic ride.

On the morning of August 12th, I left Farmington, CT at 6:00AM sharp heading north toward Simsbury and Bloomfield. After crossing the CT river (using the bike path on the Bissell Bridge aka I-291), I met John Paul 35 miles into my ride at Mitchell's Coffee House in Rockville. We made good time despite the hills of eastern CT and enjoyed what must be the nicest town in the northeast corner: Pomfret. The "Welcome to Rhode Island" sign was a familiar sight on Rt 44 and the gloriously flat roads from there to Centerville on Cape Cod would prove to be 100% necessary. I thought I was fairly well healed after 9 days off the bike, but my knees had other things in mind after the 50 mile mark. Whoever invented ibuprofen, John Paul and I would like to thank you for making the rest of that day possible. Shortly after passing through a few relatively shady streets in Pawtucket, RI, MA greeted us with nothing more than a change in the prevalent license plates going by (admittedly, Tremont Road isn't exactly your average Interstate). Nevertheless, we pushed on toward the Cape and John Paul's first century ride. Once we got onto Rt 6A, the smell of the seawater started to drive home that my coast to coast trip was coming to an end. Thankfully, 6A is also an incredibly scenic road...fully necessary at that point because 1.2 grams of ibuprofen wasn't getting the job done. 13 hours after I started, we arrived in Centerville where Christina's parents graciously offered their house for us to stay. In total, the day ended at mile 165. More impressively, John Paul's first 100+ mile day ended at 130...an incredible leap from his previous long of 42...well done sir.


The next morning, John Paul and I set out for Chatham's Lighthouse beach so I could dip my front tire in the open expanse of the Atlantic. More of Rt 6A was followed by a hefty section of the Cape Cod Rail Trail, both of which helped to ease the pain lingering from the day before. As the Atlantic came into view, I couldn't help but think back to our first day in San Francisco as we dipped our rear tires into the bay near the Golden Gate. The distance in between still seemed unfathomable. As my friends arrived, the final pictures were taken and a bit more closure was at hand. I would like to thank Adam, Noelle, Cait, Nick, and Christina for making the trip out to the cape to be part of the end of my journey. Also, thank you John Paul for fitting those two days into your schedule...I'll remember those rides as some of the best.


Seeing as this is my first and likely last post here, I would also like to thank Tom and Greg for going on this amazing coast to coast journey with me. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as good without you guys. This was easily the best summer of my life, so thanks for making it happen. I would also like to thank Lea's Foundation, our sponsors, and all of our supporters. This trip wouldn't exist without all of you...thank you for your hard work and generosity.

-James

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whatsApp his mobile number on +2348142454860 He can also cure these diseases like HIVand AIDS HERPES,DIABETICES,CANCER, HEPATITIS B ABC, .ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com...or whatAPP him ..+2348142454860 he is a real good and honest man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is donald boykins , am here to appreciate Dr Akhigbe for using his herbal medicine to cure my Herpes virus. Is about 3 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus and it has been a serious problem to me, I was so confused cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Akhigbe curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Akhigbe on his email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, he gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and i was cured everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, dr .Akhigbe, God bless you and give you more power and ability for more cures.i dont know if there is any one out there suffering for herpes virus or any of these diseases..DIABETES, CANCER, HIV/AIDS, HERPES HEPATITiES A AND B DISEASES .etc why don't you contact dr.Akhigbe today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor and he is also called the godfather of habalism contact him via email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsApp him on +2348142454860

    ReplyDelete
  3. oral herbal merdicine cure for Oral Herpes In Genital Area,cure Information Herpes STD Information and Resources on oral herpes in genital area.herbal medicine cure Herpes STD Information :: Your Resource for cure Oral Herpes In Genital Area, Oral Herpes In Genital Area Information Resource and herbal cure! Herpes STD Information provides you with all your oral herpes in genital area resources and cure information allowing you to learn about and cure STD\'s. Most of the STD\'s mentioned here are not completely curable except with the use of herbal merdicine cure by Dr Akhigbe is the best doctor in curing herpes and other diseases like hiv/aids,herpes,diabetes, cancer,hepatities a and b etc with his herbal medicine i was diagnosed of herpes 2year ago i was cured by this great doctor Akhigbe, the godfather of herbalism. i found him in the internet when looking solution and been frustrated and tired of life because of these deadly herpes doctor akhigbe restored me back to life.please for more information and assistancce contact him through these email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatapp him +2348142454860

    ReplyDelete